Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I Hope They Call Me On A Mission

My Mission Call came today!! I was so excited that I screamed when I pulled the large white envelope addressed to "Sister Kalyn Paige Walker" out of the mail box. Pretty sure that I scared some joggers going past. I ran up to my apartment and my roommate that was home and I had a little dance party and tried to see if the envelope was transparent enough to see my call without opening it. It wasn't.

Since my parents and most of my family still live in California and I was up at BYU in Provo, Utah, we wanted to coordinate schedules so it was like we were together opening it. I had to wait 6 hours. SIX HOURS! Do you understand how long that is?! Especially when the end result is finding out a life altering bit of information. To represent how long that wait is, here are some things that can be done in that time period:

- Watch the entire BBC version of "Pride and Predjudice"
-Go on the ride Supreme Scream at Knott's Berry Farm 2,700 times
-Watch the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy 
-Get a full night's rest
-Fly to New York from LA
 - See Geoffrey Mutai run the Boston Marathon three times
- Paint the Sistine Chapel ( :] )


But did I do any of these things? Nope. I ran around the house. I went to four seemingly forever long hours of work. I ate a bite of dinner. I called family and friends to tell them but got sick of it after I couldn't answer the "where" question. Then finally I drove up to my Aunt Darcy's house with some family and friends, turned on Skype with my parents, brothers, and Grandparents and opened the call and read these words:


"You are hereby assigned to labor in the Germany Berlin Mission..." 


WOO-HOO!! :] I never even thought about that mission, my guess was stateside English speaking. I was not expecting a foreign mission. But as soon as I read that a strange feeling came over me. It was a feeling of peace and of remembrance. It was like I had known all along that I was going to Berlin but I had just forgotten until this moment. It was wonderful. So there it is, I finally have my mission call that I have been looking forward to getting since I was a little girl. 

I go to the Missionary Training Center on May 16 for three weeks and then off to Germany! I love my Heavenly Father and His son Jesus Christ and am excited to serve them and the people of Germany full time for the next 18 months of my life. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Christ's true church on the Earth today. I know that Thomas S. Monson is the living Prophet on the earth and that he really does communicate with God to guide His people. I know that that Book of Mormon is the most true book ever written. I know that I am a daughter of God and that He loves me individually. I know that through His gospel I can be with my family forever, that death is nothing scary just the next step towards eternal life. I know all these things to be true and I can not wait to share them with the people I already love in Berlin.

No comments:

Post a Comment