Monday, July 30, 2012

Hello From Bremerhaven!‏

Hello Family! 

Mom and Dad, it was very fun to "chat" with you again. I kind of feel like it's cheating but I think since it's not a planned thing I will count it as a tender mercy rather than cheating. I am always inspired to try harder after reading what you write, thank you. 

How fun that Alyssa and Jared and Paige and Taylee were able to be there for that long! Hopefully next time they come down, Paige will not have a cast on and can go swimming! Jared, I'm sorry about your Grandpa passing away, but he's doing better now that he was. I know that the Plan of Happiness is true. You'll see him again and he will not be sick any more, ever again! How wonderful! 

Families are wonderful and a blessing. How great is it that because of the blessings of the Temple we can be with them forever? Let me tell you, it's pretty great. I'm so greatful for parents who were worthy to be married in the Temple and I am excited to follow in their footsteps some day. This week Ssiter Faerber and I have been learning more about Family History. We have been learning how to use Family Search and then inviting people on the street to learn more about their family history. We have heard a lot of cool stories on the street about where families came from and what people reamember about their famliy history. 

I learned something while on Family Search, we have ansestors who went all the way back in America from before the Revolutionary war! I never knew that. I wonder if they fought in the war. Do you know any stories parents? Also I saw that Great Grandpa Walker's first name was Bernard. Guess who I talked to this week? Bernard Walker! The picture is before his door. He was very nice but not interested in the Church, at least not today. Maybe tomorrow :] Sister Faerber and I decided for a creative finding idea we would look up in the phone book all the Walkers and Faerbers and klingle their streets. It's been pretty fun. Next ont he list is Hildegard Walker. I'm excited. 

I wanted to tell you about this week's ray of sunshine! We have been praying to know which streets we should go to and find those who are prepared to hear the Gospel and it has been going pretty well. Then Sister Faerber suggested that we ask members to pray for streets for us to knock doors on. So we chose a family, went to their house and prayed with them and then knocked on the street they said. It was just a little street but we made three appointments on it! Nearly every Klingle we rang was answered and we were able to teach two doorstep lessons. Miracles! And one ray from this sunshine street was we made an appointment with a Frau Färber! :] We have been trying to help our Branch get more involved and more excited in missionary work and I think this story will help give them the boost of confidence they need to step up. 

In my Personal Study I have been putting aside a little time to study the last words President Monson and others gave to us in April's Conference. We were preparing to teach a lesson which included following the Prophet and I couldn't remember the last council we heard from our living Prophet. How could I tell an investigator and expect them to follow the Prophet if I don't even remember what he said last. Sure I know what the Prophets of old have said, but what a blessing we have a living Prophet! While reading the April conference talk, the messages that have been sticking out to me are about the fight that we are in now. Each talk and each scripture I read are another strength to me in the battle in Bremerhaven. 

One entry from my Study Journal was based off this Quote from Pres. Uchtdorf "Guided by the Holy Spirit we will learn from our mistakes. If we stumble, we will rise. If we falter, we will go on. We will never waver, we will never give up." ("The Why of Priesthood Service") I felt lifted when I read this because there are many times I stumble and falter. But I do rise, and though my knees are bruised from stumbling, on my knees I can gain strength. Side note: Priesthood Session is wonderful. I've never read the whole session before because I'm not a Priesthood holder, but I will start reading it now! Every talk is wonderful. Boys, read the talks this summer. You'll learn a lot! I know each of you is wonderful and when I picture the Stripling Warriors I picture you. Live up to that picture. Be examples to your friends who are not members and to those who are. Cole, you don't have the Ptriesthood yet, but you will. Look to your brothers for an example on how to be. Cameron, how brave of you to give a talk in Sacrament meeting and about the Priesthood too! Did you learn a lot? Kaden, I'm very impressed with you being excited to read the Isaiah chapters. Keep studying them! Trey, you are terrific and a great example to the younger boys (note I did not say little anymore boys) and also to me. Keep up the good work all of you. 

I have needed this strength this week. Our investigator Andreas told us that he didn't want to meet with us any more. We did all we thought of to help him and still pray to know what we can do. But it is sad to see a brother bear his testimony of Joseph Smith one day and then tell us he can't go on the next. But this battle is not over. Andreas still needs the Gospel, now more than ever really, as do our other investigators. I am continually preparing to fight in this battle and with Sister Faerber and the Holy Ghost by my side, we will not lose. 

I love you all! Have a wonderful week at camping, EFY, Girls Camp and home! If you want to write me a letter, I would love it! Emails on Monday are great and letters in the mailbox after a hard day are a blessing. I'll write you back too! 

Love you! 
- Sister Walker

PS- HAPPY BIRTHDAY TREY!! I love you! 

PPS- the requests I made for music would be in CD form, yes. We have a CD player. Some Disney songs (including please "God Help The Outcasts" and "Stand Out" and "Reflection") also two copies of the I, Nephi CD please. Maybe a selection of Saturdays warriors and My Turn on Earth with the song "our god is an awesome god" too. Thanks! You can send the CDs to my Bremerhaven address.

No comments:

Post a Comment