Monday, November 19, 2012

First P Day As Middle Aged Missionary


Hello Family! 

One Sunhine moment this week was on Friday night (which was also my 6 month mark. Pretty good day to have a Sunshine moment). Sister Neukomm and I have been trying something new for doors, we have a paper with a specific theme on it (this week we focused on the Plan of Salvation) and also our names and number and the time and date we will be coming back. We made these little papers out and placed them in the Postboxes on Wednesday and then on Friday we went back and klingeled. This has been effective in that the people are forewarned and more people talked to us and we've been able to make out more appointments than with regular doors. When we went back on Friday, a man answered a certain klingle and said no but then his 15 year old daughter came down the stairs and said she had some questions for us. We spent more than 30 minutes with her on the stairs answering all of her questions about the Plan. It is great to see that 1- our idea of doing doors with a specific theme is effective and 2- that people really do want to know the answers to the questions of the soul. This week we are going to focus on the Book of Mormon! Wish us luck! 

The Standards of Excellence in my Mission have changed. These are the Standards the President sets as what the goals should be and what areas we should focus on so that the whole mission is on the same page. Before they were focused on making out new appointments but now the focus is on finding new investigator. This has been our focus here and we are grateful for President giving tips and a measuring stick on how to effectively do that. Chi-Yu is doing alright, he just really needs to decide whether or not this is what he wants. He's had all the discussions many times but is not motivated himself. But we'll keep trying to help him. Michael will go back to school next week and then be home for Christmas a few weeks later. He is coming with us on Saturday to do some doors. Yay for missionary work! 

Transfer calls were on Saturday and both Sister Neukomm and I are staying in Cottbus for another transfer together. President Kosak actually told us we were both staying on Tuesday at Zone Training. He said that I am his most patient Sister so he wants me to help Sister Neukomm a little longer. I wanted to laugh when he said that. I'm not patient. Well, I have learned it from Sister Faerber and now have to exercise it with Sister Neukomm. I think you would be proud of me how much I've improved, but there is still a long way to go. Dad, your analogy about sprinting will never win in the shot put no matter how fast you run has helped me this past week a lot. I've been wanting to sprint but have had to slow down and use different muscles for this shot put. Sometimes I think it is the long jump though. Pick up speed, jump, then stop, and repeat. Trying to stay on my feet the whole time. Naja, I'm learning. 

I don't know if you thought I was joking or not, but last week we really did get manicures on P-Day. Sister Bauman (the wife in our Senior Couple) came up from Görlitz to Cottbus for a girl's day! We ate lunch at this yummy pasta place, then got our nails done, then came to our apartment for games and face masks! It was really fun :] 



The Baumans are wonderful! They are even throwing a Thanksgiving party on Thursday. Sadly we can't go because we are teaching an English class, but I told the Elders to each some mashed potatoes for me. We do have an eating appointment on Thursday with a member so I'll have some kind of feast on Thanksgiving. No Candy corn though. My 3 thankfuls would be though 1-I'm thankful for an amazing family that supports me on my mission 2- I'm thankful for prayer, the chance for a conversation with my Heavenly Father. He really does listen to every prayer, and when I feel alone or broken or frustrated or sad He is just a prayer away. I feel His love everyday through prayer. 3- I'm thankful I can speak German and am able to communicate the Gospel to the people in this Mission. 

I love you all and hope that you enjoy Thanksgiving! Tell everyone hello and I love them for me :] 

Love, Sister Walker 

No comments:

Post a Comment