Hello Family!
I have to say, I missed having a giant cookie for my birthday. First time in a long time not having a Cookie Co Cookie Cake to ring in the new year. But it was still a good day! I didn't tell people in my ward it was my birthday beacause it's a little uncomfortable to say it, it's like asking for presents and that's weird, and also there were ward members who's birthdays are right around mine (Sister Dittrich's birthday is today if you want to send a little Happy Birthday email :] ) But somehow most of the ward knew. I suspect Sister Neukomm had something to do with that :] When we got to church I was bombarded with so many presents, it was like Christmas all over again. Yes most was chocolate and very delicious. (Side note- I have been really good at watching what I eat and not gaining too much weight and I even started to lose some of the weight already gained, but after the birthday I think it's all back. And it was very yummy.)
Sister McCandless made me birthday breakfast of French Toast and she also decorated my desk with birthday posters and such. It was a fun day. But my favorite present that I got (besides my new pink camera -Thanks!-) was in my card from Sch. Münch. She quoted a scripture for me!! It made me cry a little. She quoted Alma 29:9 with a little variations. She said "this is my glory, that I [am] an instrument in the hands of God to bring [Sch. Münch] l to repentance; and this is my joy."
Sandro and his brother Mark came to church, this was Mark's 2nd time. He's 10 years old. One of the ward members who had a birthday is a boy, Alex, who turned 12. Turning 12 and getting the Priesthood is a big deal everywhere but I have never seen it such a big deal as here. It was so cute. And I'm sure Alex will never forget it. He still went to opening time of Primary but then the Bishopric and YM leaders came in and "ejected" him. (that's the translation of the word they used) And then in Sacrament Meeting, Alex bore his testimony, then the Priamry sang a good bye song (which Mark took a part of! That was so cute to see him go up!) and then the Priesthood men all stood up and sang him a welcome to the Priesthood song. Then the YM leader gave a talk on the importance of Deacons (Alex is our only Deacon) and it was all so special for Alex. I really liked it.
With Marlen, the girl who we prayed with on the street, she didn't show up to our appointment and we couldn't get a hold of her on the phone. Sad day. But we'll keep her in our prayers and keep moving forward. Alina also said she didn't want to meet with us anymore and I was starting to think that she just came to make sure it was OK for Mark to come. That was also sad. Something else sad was we had to cancel an appointment with one of our investigators, Herr Wonnenberger, becasue we couldn't find a joint teach. We aren't alowed to meet with a man alone and that can be hard sometimes.
But the good parts of this week were bigger and better than the sad parts so it's OK. On Thursday we started our English class again. We had passed out over a 1,000 invitations and were hoping for lots of people to come. The only people who came were Rita and Dietmar, our students from last English class, and Sch Münch. That was funny but at least they came and said that they had missed coming to church for English. And after the opening prayer they even said Amen, which was the first time they did that!
Then while doing doors one day we were escorted out of a building (I wasn't sassy pants this time either) so we just went to the next one and when I was on the Klingle, I just said the normal "Hello, we're from the Church of Jesus Christ and we are giving away the Book of Mormon" When the lady on the other side said "Mormons!!?? Wait one minute, I'm coming down!!" And she came down. We gave her a Book of Mormon and talked to her about the church for about 15 minutes and
then about America for another 10. She's cool and said she'll come to Church next week. Hope so!
After talking to her we met a mean man on the street but again, I kept sassy pants in control and was able to calmly answer his questions. A scripture even popped into my head when he asked something and it was perfect! Thanks Holy Ghost! :]
Something else great was we saw the Sunshine!!! For 2 days the sun was out. This is the first time really since October that I've seen the sun for more than 2 seconds. It was beautiful and warm and there were so many people on the streets and I wore this cute summery outfit one day (most parts are hand me downs from Sister Neukomm, I haven't spent too much money on new clothes) and was able to put my boots away!! But then today is back to normal. There are 3 inches of snow now.
If you remember around Christmastime the Elders left Forst (the area next to the Cottbus Ward) so Sister Neukomm adn I had an appointment with members there to cover for them. This member family, the Bentkes, found out it was my Birthday so for PDay today, they invited us over for a Birthday BBQ! Not exactly BBQ weather but it will still be fun!
Mom, I'm sorry you were offended. You can tell me who it was and I'll call them to repentance (that's my job.) But I'm very proud of you for forgiving them even if they haven't said they're sorry. You are a wonderful example to me.
Dad, your dream did make me smile! But I would recognise you even when chasing you, I haven't been away long enough to forget what you look like.
I hope you all have a wonderful day! I love you all!
Love from,
Sister Walker
No comments:
Post a Comment