Monday, March 4, 2013

Hello Family!


Happy PDay family!
So this week was a crazy one. Don't really know what happened, but it was great! Sister McCandless and I taught 26 lessons this week! Woo-Hoo! So to answer your question, Mom, working full days again is very tiring but great! Every night I am so exausted I just want to get in bed and every morning I want to stay in bed but time goes by so quickly while working.
We really just hit the pavement running every day. There are less active members to visit and planned lessons to give, but when there is no planned lesson, we go out on the streets and do "Teach to Find, Find to Teach." We have been sharing testimonies on the street as often as possible and always asking for appointments and referals. I don't know if I've told you, but I have a Mission Bucket List, things I want to do before I go home. This week we crossed 3 off of my list.
1- Give a Book of Mormon to a bus driver.
 I've shared a story before about knocking on a stopped bus' door to talk to the driver and gave him a card a while ago. Well, at this bus stop, the bus always waits for a little while and I've done that more than once. But they never want a Book of Mormon. But then this time we walked by, the bus driver was out on a smoke break so no knocking on the door was necissary. We just went right up to talk to him and had a good 10 minute conversation with him where we talked about the Plan of Happiness and we gave him a Book of Mormon! Passing those out really is one of my hobbies.
2- Say a prayer on the street with someone. 
For Street Lessons, they need to have at least two of three things- 1-both companions bearing testimony about two or more points of doctrine 2-a commitment given or 3-a prayer is said. Normally The first two aren't that hard to do, but asking a stranger to say a prayer is. But we did it! There was a girl, Marlen, who is about 20 years old who was walking her dog. We just started talking to her about God and she said she never thought about him and wouldn't know how to find out. So we told her what prayer is and then asked if we could say a prayer together right there on the street. She said yes! She told her dog, Bonnie, to sit and we said a prayer and made out a new appointment with her! It's for this coming Tuesday.
3- Teach the Law of Chastity on the street. 
This is not always the easiest lesson to teach with investigators who we have relationships with, teaching it to a stranger is maybe a little foolish thinking. But it is also an eternal truth that people need to know, so I've wanted to do it. We did it. We talked to a man at a bus stop who knew a little about Mormons. He said "You don't drink alcohol or smoke right? What else can't you do?" I meant to say no coffee, you know, stay with the Word of Wisdom here, but when I opened my mouth I said "We don't have sex before marriage." I was shocked, my companion was schocked, and he was shocked. But we went with it.  If a statement of truth comes out, it's from the  Spirit so he must have needed it. We talked for about 10 minutes about it. He pulled an analogy like when you go to a bakery and want a cake, you sample it before you buy it. Then I countered with well, you could also ask for the ingrediants and then make a wise choice. Thought that was pretty cool. In the end he said that it makes a little sense and that maybe he will try asking for the ingredients more. Yay!
Something else really good happened this week too. While teaching some lessons in people's homes I was a little schocked by decorations, or the mess, or something and some thoughts came to my mind and one joint teach said "I can't see him as a member, why do you meet with him?" Well, I may not be able to see him as a member right now, but he is a beloved son of God who gives him chances and I should too! I have been really trying to picture people in white and making sacred covenants with their Father in Heaven and when I do that, I can feel so much love for them that I know they are my brothers and sisters and I want them to be happy and feel this love too. I know that God does love everyone regardless of what they think or do. I am very greateful to have seen that,

I love all of you and wish you a wonderful week!
Love,
Sister Walker
Mom- here is a picture my comp took of me and cool graffiti. 



Thank you for the hugs! They made me cry when I opened it :]   (for valentines day Kalyn's nieces, Paige and Taylee, sent her "hugs" with ribbon the width of their arm span and their handprints cut out)

No comments:

Post a Comment