Monday, October 1, 2012

P-Day Once More

Hello family! 
First, the pictures! This week we had a Tausch- an exchange. My companion for 2 days was Sister Klemm from Münich. Sister Neukomm went to Chemnitz and I stayed in Cottbus. We had fun right off the bat!


There are 6 Sisters in my Tausch group (Cottbus, Chemnitz, and Dresden) and we all met in Dresden to switch companions and to eat lunch together. We went to a very yummy Asian Buffet and had all you can eat sushi for 6€! I loved it :] Who knew that Germany had great sushi? Next time I'm in Dresden I may just have to take another lunch break there! Sister Klemm is actually supposed to be serving on Temple Square but her Visa has not come yet so she started her mission here in the Berlin Mission. It was a blessing to get her because we were a Sister short and without her, the city of Dresden would have been closed for Sisters. She is just 2 weeks old on her mission, brand new! She sould only be with us for a few more weeks. So if y'all go to Temple Square in the next few months, look for Sister Klemm and you will have met one of my companions! (even if it was only for two days hehe) 
Even though it is getting very cold already here (today is 8°C, high of 16°C) the flowers are beautiful. This kind of flower can get bigger than my head, huge and pretty! 
This week's sunshine moments have mostly been because of the same goal I've set for myself. Since we have less time going out and working, my new goal was to really try to talk to everyone we meet. I thought I had done a pretty good job of this before, but this week especially I've noticed that I can talk to more people, at bus stops, in bakeries, at crosswalks, even to the bus driver himself! Funny story with that, we were riding our bikes between appointments and there was no one on the street to talk to. But there was a bus stopped at a bus stop (rather a good place for a bus to stop) with just the driver sitting inside. I stopped my bike (at the bus stop, there was no bike stop), got on the bus and started talking to him. He was very surprised but he took our card, then I got back on my bike and rode on. This actually happened twice this week, same street, same bus stop, but different drivers! After focusing on really giving my best to open my mouth to everyone we have been able to get more contacts and more appointments! This has had many blessings besides touching more people's hearts here in Cottbus, one of which is our attitudes are raised and our testimonies strengthened. Sister Neukomm has more desire and more courage to talk to everyone as well, which is a big blessing! She had been feeling too scared to talk to people but now she is OYM-ing too! (OYM = open your mouth) 

Another great moment was seeing the Ward incorrperating and welcoming investigators into activities and church! Two of our investigators went to Institute and enjoyed it very much then were invited to the Ward Activity on Wednesday, not just by us but members. At Church on Sunday many members came to our investigator, Chi-Yu, to say hello and invited him to drive with us in the bus that we are renting to see President Monson! He had already said to us that he would be interested in going but now he is planning on it! The Ward really needs to support the missionaries if the work is to be moved along. I never really thought about that before and always just thought of the missionaries as doing there thing and maybe saying hi to them at Church. Missionaries need members though! I encourage you to do more to help the Missionaries in Claremont. I really feel sympathy now. Just think about it, if some one knocked on your door and tried to share their religion with you, would you listen? Or would you be more open if your friend said "You mean a lot to me and I want what's best for you. My Church has helped me a lot in my life and I know it can help you too. Would you like to come to dinner at my house when the missionaries will be there as well?" I personally would be a second option person. I know knocking doors works too, but member referals and members on joint teaches help more often than door successes. Something that I am grateful for that we did with the missionaries is keeping to their time schedual. Sometimes people want to keep us longer for lunch (we don't have dinner appointments with members, but lunch appointments) than we can stay. Good job getting the missionaries in and out on time! 

I have been enjoying my longer Personal Study time and I realized that I will miss it when it is gone. I have at least an hour to read Jesus the Christ everyday and that book is amazing. I love it. Reading that and the scriptures for hours everyday is really helping me to better get to know my Savior and also my Heavenly Father. I feel more of a connection and more of a real relationship with them now than before. I am very greatful for that and I want to continue to develop this relationship and really get to know Christ and Heavenly Father. 

Mom, thanks for forwarding me Trey's emails! It sounds like he is pleading for letters. I wrote him a few, hope he gets them! I didn't write Arrowsmith on all of them... opps. I read in the Liahona a bit ago about an idea for missionaries. Someone made a Missionary Mail Box in the church building with pre-addressed and pre stamped envelopes for all the ward's missionaries with paper and pens and a place for the finished letters to go. That way people at church could write letters right then and someone could mail them later. Maybe you could talk to the other Missionary Moms in the ward and see if something like that would be a good idea. I got a letter from Sister Carter this week, I will write her back but can you tell her thank you from me next time you see her? It was a very sweet card. Megan also replyed to a letter I wrote. That was fun to get as well! 

And yes, I bought boots and worn them and they are nice and warm! Have not worn the big winter coat yet, not really excited to wear it. 

General Conference is this weekend!! Yippee!! How awesome is that! The Relief Society Broadcast will be played between sessions of the General Broadcast. I'm excited for that too. It will be interesting to watch in German. Hope the translator speaks clearly and Hoch Deutsch. 

Thank you for your emails, they always lift me up. And Dad, we always have the same spiritual thoughts! It's so cool. I hope your back heals quickly. I'm praying for you. 

Boys, have a great week and be sure to smile while at school. Smiling is how to start friendships. Say hello too. I love you!

Love you all and I will 'talk' to you next week! 

Love, 
Sister Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment