Hello Family!
Just wondering, can you see the German characters when I type them? The ä, ö, ü, ß? And in case you're wondering the ß makes the "ss" sound. When there are two s' in a word people use the - ß - (example street = Strasse = Straße) Hope you have enjoyed your German lesson of the day.
Sunshine Moment of the Week: (This was something my Mission President asked me to do in my Emails to him, highlight a Sunshine Moment. I thought it was a great idea so I've been doing it in your emails too.)
In Zone Conference and District Meetings lately a lot of emphisis on Street Lessons is being made. A Street Lesson is just what it sounds like, giving a lesson to someone right there on the street and not waiting till another day for a formal appointment. A Street Lesson includes asking them if they have a few minutes right then to talk, 1 or more points from a lesson in Preach My Gospel, both campanions bearing testimony, asking questions, and leaving them a commitment, generally setting up an appontment follows as well. These are very effective because having to people with nametags talking to you on the street asking for your address to talk about Jesus is a little strange. But if we take the time to get to know them a little and give them to opprotunity to feel the Spirit, we start forming a relationship right then on the street and their journey to get closer to God starts right away. We are having a lot of success from these! The German People are open to talking but still private so lessons right then and there are great ice breakers and a good foundation. We try to have a goal of at least one Street Lesson a day and most of the time get more than one! This week two lessons in particular stood out to me.
One was with a man named Dieter. We were walking home at the end of the day and he was standing at the bottom of an apartment building just smoking his cigarette when we went up and just wanted to give him a card because it was getting late. As we started to walk away he asked us, "Wait, do you really believe in God?" Which then we went back to him and answered his question, then his next one and his next one... We ended up teaching him the whole Plan of Salvation right there! He didn't want a Book of Mormon then and said he'd look on the website and call us for an appointment. So the ending was not ideal, but the Spirit was there and Sister Faerber and I did a good job taking turns answering his questions, so we felt good about that Street Lesson and hoped he would think about what we said. Well, that was at the beginning of the week. Then yesterday, guess who showed up to Church?! Dieter! He said he had been thinking about what we said and he wanted to learn more. Wow! Sister Faerber was talking with another investigator who was at Church so I was alone answering his questions about what he heard in Sacrament Meeting. He wanted to know about our Church President and more about what we believe. So I told him about Prophets and Joseph Smith's First Vision and how we came to get the Book of Mormon. He didn't take a Book of Mormon but he did take one of every pamphlet we had saying he wants to read them before the big book. I hope he does read them and that the desire to learn more burns in his heart.
The other SL that stood out this week was also with someone we spoke to on our way home. His name is David. He was raised a Jehova's (this is the German spelling, is it English too? I don't know...) Witness but didn't believe all of it. As we explained and showed pictures of the Book of Mormon he exclaimed quite happily "Why haven't I heard about this before?!" He listened to all we said and took the Book of Mormon and started reading it right there on the street!! I hope he continues to read and then prays about it.
Another wonderful moment is we ran into Andreas on the street! We were able to give him a SL too and he said he wants to start meeting with us again!! YAY!! Que song: "Our God is an awesome God, He reighns from heaven above..."
The Gospel is True! Don't forget that.
For P-Day last week we went to the Klima Haus (Climate House). This has to be the coolest museum in the world! Each room is a different city that is on the same longitude line as Bremerhaven, 8°East. It goes all around the world, Switzerland where we milked "cows" and climbed the Alps, Italy where we learned about their weather, Africa in the Sahara desert, then a rainforest in Africa, Antartica, Samoa, Alaska then back to Bremerhaven. Each room was not only decorated and had films about the places but the climate was there too! In the desert it was so hot (about 40° C) then in the rainforest it was humid and gross, Antartica was freezing and there was a glacier, samoa was humid again but a good warm, Alaska pretty perfect... it was SO COOL!!
Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad! 25 years, that's longer then I've been alive! (hehehe....) And it's only the start. Thank you both for being such wonderful examples to me. I want my marriage to be like yours. Thank you for saying you love eachother in front of us kids. We may have been grossed out at times, but when I see families that don't say that, it's sad and the family is not as strong.
Dad, thank you for the music! Sister Faerber was teaching me how to play this song and having the music would help do that :]. Your talk sounds like ti was very good and inspiring, you'll have to give it again when I can hear it, you know when I come home in 5 years. I'm sorry your back still hurts, what did you do? Mom, I've been thinking a lot about Young Womens lately because we have 2 girls who are 17 that we've taught and I see the girls that age walking around the street adn I think how much they need Young Womens. It really does set girls ont he right path in this scary worold. I'm greatful for it and think it is the most important age to hear the Gospel. Keep up the good work teaching the Young Women!
Speaking of teaching, I taught the Theme, lesson, in the last District Meeting. It was a little intimidating teaching other missionaries especially since I'm still a Golden, but it went well and was fun! I taught about John 15:4-6 and how the lost sheep aren't talking about bringing new investigators into the Fold, but keeping the sheep in the Fold in. It went rather well I thought. I used Pres Hinckley's address about how missioanary work is pointless if there is no retention of converts. Sister Faerber and I have been more activly trying to contact less actives this week, wish us luck!
To answer a question I think Kaden asked, No I have not played the piano in Church yet because Sister Faerber is so good but in 2 weeks (on the 24th) we are having a fireside and S Faerber will accompany the choir on the piano and I will on the organ. I'm playing the organ. ORGAN!! AHHH!!!! :] It's an arrangement of Called to Serve. I Will try to have someone record it so I can send it to you.
Boys here are some ideas on how not to be bored this summer:
1-write me a letter and send it in the mail.
2- color me a picture and send it in the mail
3- read the book of mormon and high light every time it talks about Jesus (every Christ, Savior, he, him, I.....)
4- get a book of mormon, write your tetimony in it and give it away
5- make cookies for Sister Hughes,
6- deliver said cookies
7- practice the piano
I love all of you and hope you all have a wonderful rest of the summer! Be safe especially in the pool! Lyssa, have fun up in Utah! I love you and your family too!
- Sister Walker
Spiritual Thought- from an Ensign article titled "Our Savior the Master Teacher" By someone that I forgot who. Jesus Christ went through the veil when he was born just like we did. He was able to develop a perfect faith in God and the Plan and He needed to study the scriptures just like we do. We are already more like Christ than I realized. We can continue to become like Him.
PPS- Mom, you'll need to buy that Bollywood work out DVD. I'm gaining weight. Stupid yummy bread, potatoes, and chocolate...



No comments:
Post a Comment